Opening Hours : Monday to Friday - 9am to 6pm and Saturday - Upon Request

EMAIL

info@marialalousi.com

Wisdom Teeth: Are These Molars Really needed? - Maria Lalousi

17 Dec
0


When we are born, there are no teeth visible in our mouths.As we develop, our teeth start growing or erupting around six months of age,central incisors, the two bottom front teeth emerge first, followed shortly by the upper front teeth.

Last to Show

The molars are last, the first molar around age 13 to 19 months and the second molar comes in around 25 to 33 months. Primary teeth begin falling out around six years of age to twelve years of age and are replaced by permanent teeth. The last teeth to grow in are the third molars or wisdom teeth, and that happens between 17 and 21 years of age.

What Are Molars?

Designed by genetics, molars, take the pressure of grinding and crushing food like nuts, grains, and tough chews of meat. Anthropologists believe that adult humans no longer need the third molar or wisdom tooth. As humans have evolved, the skull is not as large as those of our ancestors.

Our brains are more massive, leaving less room for teeth, and some humans do not develop wisdom teeth at all. Modern humans have smaller mouths leaving less room for all the teeth to develop, particularly wisdom teeth. Smaller skulls can account for some of the problems caused by wisdom teeth when they do come in.

Wisdom Teeth Are Not Wise

Less room in the human mouth can result in wisdom teeth not merging correctly. Wisdom teeth that erupt improperly can be tilted, lay sideways (Impacted), be twisted, or may not grow above the gum line.

Studies have shown that only about 15% of the human population does not have any issues with wisdom teeth. That leaves 85% of the population to deal with problem wisdom teeth during their lifetime; evolution is not always positive.

Be Wise, Brush

Taking care of your teeth is essential in having good dental health. Brush often, after each meal if possible, if not at least twice a day, especially at bedtime. Adults should use a soft to medium brushes with small or medium-sized brush heads with nylon bristles.

Brush the front surface of the teeth by placing the toothbrush against the tooth at a 45-degree angle to the gums. Use a fluoride toothpaste, cover the brush head with the paste, after brushing spit, do not rinse leaving the fluoride to do its work.

Use small circular motions several times on each tooth; make sure that while brushing you massage the gums. Brush the back surface of the teeth, hold the brush vertically to the front teeth and brush with the same circular motion with the front of the brush.

Pay special attention to the molars; they are in the back of the mouth and are sometimes hard to reach. Floss every day to remove food particles and plaque from between the teeth at the gum line. Use chlorhexidine mouthwash when your get problems with your wisdom teeth.

Last but not least, visit the dentist at least twice a year for a complete cleaning and dental check-up.