Veneers are very thin material that is placed by the dentist on the front of the teeth.
Veneers are used to treat many aesthetic problems of the teeth. The reasons for using them are:
- to correct the shape of the teeth,
- to improve their color
- and finally to improve the inclination
Veneers are partial conservative restorations, in contrast to dental crowns which are full coverage restorations.
This means that minimal or no grinding is required to install them.
Composite veneer material
It is a biocompatible polymeric material, therefore it is not toxic to the body and is biologically inert.
This material is known for its use in white dental fillings.
In addition to treating problems on one or more teeth, the veneers can also create a white and healthy smile.
TThis material is used for a vast amount dental therapies such as veneers, white fillings and onlay-inlay.
Πότε και γιατί χρησιμοποιούνται οι όψεις ρητίνης?
Veneers can be used to treat several aesthetic problems such as color, shape, form and inclination of the teeth.
More specifically, veneers are used in the following cases:
- When the patient wants to change the color of their teeth but can not use the classic teeth whitening
- Teeth whitening lasts for a limited time, so if one wants something permanent, then resin veneers are the solution
- It allows us to cover old and exposed fillings
- To close small gaps (up to 1.5 mm) between the teeth. In case the space is longer, porcelain veneers or crowns should be used.
- To restore the original shape of the teeth which may have been eroded due to friction
- Finally they allow us to align the teeth without the use of any orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages?
The advantages of this technique compared to others are:
- It is a very fast method of restoring aesthetic problems.
- There are no indirect or external costs
- The process is predictable and fast because there are no laboratory and construction stages.
- The color and its choice is completely controlled by the dentist under controlled conditions.
- We can make changes to the color if it is requested or deemed necessary
- They are very easy to repair compared to other methods.
- If the color, inclination and shape are not to the patient's liking, an immediate change can be made.
- Minimal or no grinding of your teeth is required for their placement
What are the disadvantages?
- They can close a gap between the teeth up to 1.5 mm.
- Veneers may break or come off.
- Over time (6-8 years) they will need to be repaired because the material starts to fade and discolor.
What preparation is needed?
When the patient arrives at the dental clinic, the dentist will make an aesthetic analysis of the patient's smile and face.
The patient chooses the teeth that the veneers will be placed on.
The doctor presents to the patient his new proposed smile in a digital form (before and after).
A dental veneer guide is placed in the patient's teeth, working as a simulation of the new smile. At this stage the patient can suggest and request any changes in the color and shape.
The design process is completed by constructing the veneer according to the above.
How do you place the veneers?
Once the preparation stage is completed, the installation can begin. The veneer placement requires:
- The preparation of the host teeth. This implies a possible grinding of the tooth surface from 0.2 to 0.5mm
- The placement of the aesthetic materials selected with the help of guides and diagnostic wax.
- The final configuration of the materials and their polishing.
Who much do they cost?
The cost of veneers depends on the difficulty of the incident, the patients' needs and the quantity.
All of these factors greatly vary the cost.
Can I put resin veneers on crooked teeth?
Resin veneers can be placed on crooked teeth to make them look straight.
The most common way of aligning teeth is achieved with the use of orthodontic treatment such as braces and Invisalign.
Resin veneers are a great choice to straighten crooked teeth because not only does it make them look straight but it can also give them the shine and white color that all people want.
Can I whiten teeth on resin veneers?
Whitening of resin-faced teeth cannot be achieved using whitening gels.
Resin veneers do not need anything very special in terms of maintenance. What is recommended to last longer and have a bright color is a polish 1-2 times a year.